Friday 17 August 2012

Day 18. 1971km, 11th of Aug.

Today has been really good, managed to come a long way and kept a good average speed up. I slept quite close to the Belgian border, some 20km east of it. I realized I crossed the border by looking at the GPS because there was no sign telling me that I was entering Belgium. So I turned around and headed back to get a picture by the sign that I thought I had missed, but there just was none. I cycled through the country in just a couple of hours, stopping only once for some lunch. When I got to the French border the same thing happened. There was no sign saying that I was leaving Belgium, just one welcoming me to France.
 

So basically, I went through Belgium almost without noticing.

Once I entered France everything changed again, once again no one spoke English. I had a baguette and some cheese, no wine though. I do have to give some credit to the Dutch. When I asked if someone spoke English, they would say that yes, but just a little bit. Then when they started talking they spoke perfect English. Here, they say they speak some English, and then just carry on in French.

Great stuff.

Other than that, roads where good and I managed to find a campsite 18km outside of Calais. I did have a burger on the way by the road. And what a burger it was, I think I managed my kcal intake for the rest of the week during that pit stop.

Vive le France!

No comments:

Post a Comment