Monday 6 August 2012

Day 12. 1272km, 22:36 the 5th of Aug.

I'm getting used to life on the road now. Living out of a rack sack and a touring pannier is a lot easier than one might think. I passed Bremen today, just south of it, didn't actually enter the city. Managed my 100 km quite early today, so I treated myself with a couple of beers and a slice of the local cuisine. Did some grocery shopping and finally got some coffee.

The terrain was rougher today, walked through a sand path, it took more than an hour. It was impossible to steer when trying to cycle through it. I oiled the chain with the "green oil" we got last year at the BWC, a quick 1200km service on my new back wheel and carried on again.

My body got a bit tired sometime around 2pm, so I stopped for a bit, had a snack and looked around. Something very different here is that a lot of people have the German flag hanging somewhere in their garden, it doesn't have to be up on a pole, just hanging outside a window or something. So when I pass by with my Swedish flag behind me people cheer and laugh. I haven't seen a single cyclist with a flag on his or her bike since I left Sweden.

On a bridge leaving Hamburg
One thing that hit me en Copenhagen was that almost everyone on bikes, well at least a third of the people riding out at night had "reel lights" mounted on their bikes. I have a set too, but in Stockholm they are harder to spot.

Tomorrow I'll keep heading west. Should cross my third border before sundown.

Did some laundry last night, this is how I tried to dry my socks afterwards. Worked to some extent, had to tie them on the outside of my bags in the morning so that would dry up in the wind...



No comments:

Post a Comment